The hype isn’t over for The Blue Box Conspiracy. Both Bloober Team and a massive Japanese game developer are both working on Silent Hill games.
People got a little disheartened when they learned that The Medium developers Bloober Team were working on a Silent Hill game. However, this is old news. Konami revealed that they had two Silent Hill games in production in 2019 and Abandoned is likely one of them..
No. The fact that Bloober Team and Konami announced a partnership does not discredit The Blue Box/Silent Hill conspiracy. We were expecting this announcement as it was already confirmed that Konami had greenlit two Silent Hill games: a reboot and a remake.
Reports that The Medium developer Bloober Team were working on a Silent Hill game go back a whole year and it was partially confirmed early this year when the the company’s CEO, Piotr Babieno, hinted that the studio’s next horror game is from an existing horror IP is in production and comes from a notable publisher.
“We’ve been working for more than a year on another gaming project, another horror IP, and we’re doing this with a very famous gaming publisher,” Babieno told GameIndustry.biz. “I can’t tell you who. I can’t tell you what the project is, but I’m pretty sure when people realize we’re working on it, they will be very excited.”
It was also reported that there was already Silent Hill reboot in the making by a “prominent” Japanese game developer, and all signs seem to point that it is Kojima Productions.
VGC, claim that a source told them that Konami “has already outsourced a Silent Hill project to a prominent Japanese developer, with a reveal due this summer”.
According to website, “two people with knowledge of the Japanese publisher’s plans” insist Konami had initially turned to Until Dawn developer Supermassive to pitch a Silent Hill reboot. While this project did not go ahead, “the framework for that game evolved into the episodic Dark Pictures titles”, which have so far included Man of Medan and Little Hope.
What we don’t know is that Kojima’s cancelled, and cancelled again, Silent Hills game was uncancelled and it has been in production since late 2016 and is set for an exclusive PlayStation 5 launch later this year, 2021.
Last year the Death Stranding developer revealed that a “major project” that he was working on was cancelled. During an interview with Japanese site Livedoor (translated by VGC), Hideo Kojima discusses two projects: one which is in early development and another “major project” that was canceleld which he had spent years on working on.
“Recently a major project of mine got cancelled so I’m pretty pissed, but that’s the games industry for you,” Kojima said.
Kojima has reportedly said he’d like to work on multiple projects alongside his studio’s next “big” game, which has been hinted to be a horror title.
During this time the legendary composer for the Silent Hill series, Masahiro Ito, also teased a new project that fans are “hoping to hear about.”
He later tweeted out his concern that the very same project might be cancelled but that he was hopefully that it wouldn’t be.
I’m working on a title as a core member. I hope the title won’t be cancelled.— 伊藤暢達/Masahiro Ito (@adsk4) January 4, 2020
Considering that Hideo owns his own development studio, Kojima Productions, meant that whatever project he was working on wasn’t directly his IP. So it is likely that he was working on a game despite not having finalised publishing deals with the owner of the IP. This led a lot of people to believe he was working with Konami.
But new evidence suggests that the game was never cancelled, or was somehow uncancelled. It is likely that Hideo Kojima was simply trying to distance himself from the rumours that he was working on Silent Hill so that it would be a massive surprise when it was revealed. We all know the man has a flair for extreme marketing. Kojima is no stranger to deception.
It is believed that the old leaked PlayStation tech demo from 2018 showcasing the PlayStation 5’s graphical capabilities was using footage of Hideo Kojima’s Silent Hill game.
All signs seem to point to Abandoned, the mysterious survival-horror game developed by unknown developer BLUE BOX Game Studios, being the second Silent Hill game that is reported to be in production. And despite all the conspiracies and coincidences, one doesn’t have to look any further than Konami’s official merchandise Instagram account for confirmation of that.
Konami started teasing fresh Silent Hill merchandise on their Twitter and redirected people to the official Instagram page where they posted “Something big is coming soon…” Thousands and thousands of people commented with Silent Hill hype and, out of the blue (pun not intended), the official shop pinned two comments, one of them saying “Abandoned is Silent Hill.”